And in the latest fest news, we have more (count ‘em, more) announcements to make:
– The Big One: Our programmers are known for their uncanny ability to find the next big thing before the buzz hits – and this year’s Saturday YDS headliners are that perfect example that makes us simultaneously smug and eager.
Presented by Ford, Mississauga’s own Billy Talent will lead a full day of rock featuring Millencolin, Big Black Delta, Moon King, Blinker the Star, We are Scientists, Steve Hill, and Riverdale (formerly The Burning Boyz).
– Speaking of Mississauga, the festival extends to Pearson International Airport, where the NXNE @ YYZ concert series marks its sixth year. Weary travelers will find respite in free performances. On Thursday, June 13th, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet – best known for the theme song to Kids in the Hall – will play the Terminal 1 Arrivals Hall and on Friday June 14th, Toronto seven-piece Mamabolo and indie stalwarts Blinker the Star will rock the Terminal 1 concourse.
More bands are being added all the time to NXNE Music.
– Halifax CanCon favourites Sloan will be playing the Porter showcase at The Great Hall on Friday June 14th, and Evan Dando of The Lemonheads will play The Rivoli Saturday June 15th.
– NXNE Film beefs up with the Canadian premiere of If We Shout Loud Enough, a documentary about post-hardcore Baltimore band Double Dagger. The movie will be followed by a performance by Peals, featuring Double Dagger’s Bruce Willen.
– The 7th Annual Put the Boot In charity soccer match to benefit Right to Play will again pit The Rockers (Canadian musicians) against The Rollers (media moguls.) It all goes down on Father’s Day at Lamport Stadium. The roster features Brendan Canning of Broken Social Scene and Mike Haliechuk of Fucked Up for the good guys, and DirectKickTV’s Scott Jardine, CBC Radio 1’s Adam Killick and Adam Van Koeverden of Olympian for the enemy. Everyone wins. The full rosters are now available.